Monday, January 14, 2013

Not Fey-ning Girl Poehler!


Today's music blessing. Thank you for my i-pod all those years ago. The day I got one proved to be a pivotal moment in my life.

Suggested listening today: Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves by Annie Lennox or Daughters of Darkness by Halestorm

I have spent the better part of my life enthralled in a profession heavily dominated by men and their decisions.
More times than not the results of their thinking were tremendous and delivered admirable results. However as a girl always knocking on the door of the broadcasters' good ol' boys club more times than not I was left out in the cold when it came time for me to advance my career or better yet, apply my talents for their radio stations.

Some of my female contemporaries have gone far in broadcasting and I am very proud of them. They are all tremendously talented and well deserving of the accolades they receive from their peers but from my perspective only the ones who blazed their trail in management were allowed to progress.

ART SCHMART.

Myself along with other females who focused solely on the creative aspect of radio and hunkered down in the studio were the ones who were never taken seriously although we were the ones who gave the managers a product to....manage.

Several years ago I had the opportunity to work with one of my mentors, She is gracious, funny, caring and one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Our Program Director at the time was facing a scheduling conflict in which a simple solution would require her and I to do a Saturday morning show together.
In the world of radio Saturday morning shifts are throw away shifts, they need to be filled but they aren't considered an important piece of the puzzle so at first it wasn't a complete broadcast faux pas.

but...

GTFO!? A man is going to let two women be on the air together for a show....with NO  man around to "host" us!

We clicked instantly and our chemistry was spot on more so than with any show I had ever worked on before. It was almost magical and I had never felt more comfortable doing a show with some one. It was so exciting and I looked forward to it every week. Eventually we were asked to fill in during the week a couple of times. The feedback from listeners overwhelmed me for I knew it wasn't my imagination...there was something special with us doing a show together. Clients even began to inquire about the possibility of us having a real show.

Our program director continued to encourage us that we were on the cusp of something brilliant and implied that our show was on track to become a more permanent  fixture on the station and not just once a week either! But it wasn't long before he accepted a position elsewhere and left us high and dry. As I pushed new management to follow through with our show they sat me down and very firmly chastised my beliefs that indeed a board room filled with testosterone would every approve a girl duo hosted radio show. They think that such an arrangement was preposterous.

"No one wants to hear hens cackling all morning." Defeated by dudes again. Even our Saturday morning show came to an end.

Last night I discovered that a board room filled with ties and other things that hang down had approved Tina Fey and Amy Pohler to host the 70th Annual Golden Globes! Wait? TWO girls on stage? At the SAME time?  Did they confuse this event with a beauty pageant? I was elated!

Especially when they OWNED it from only 30 seconds in. Funnier than any one who has hosted any sort of award show in years and I could tell they weren't going to apologize about not even it for a second! My heart filled with joy! In the last few years I have heard the tome that we are on the brink of a new hierarchy in society, more specifically one that is a matriarchal society. I wasn't seeing anything to support that theory though...until last night.

If these broads can bust down the door of the boardroom and at The Friar's Club in NYC than I do believe this is the new age of Aquarius or better yet... the age of acquiring breast power!

If you didn't get to see the gals make their mark last night here is The Hollywood Gossip.com video of the opening segment. Until i remember my HTML code you might have to copy and paste. As A T-Bek from Jeopardy would say, "Oooo, soory!" With that being said remember...


Never let not knowing how to do something prevent you from doing it!

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/videos/tina-fey-and-amy-poehler-monologue





No comments:

Post a Comment