Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Catcher in the Right Moment

Catcher in the Right Moment


This morning I caught the following meme while on Pinterest. It is a quote from a book that I haven't read or thought of in a long time. I am thankful to have found it. Now I can have it with me always to use as a reminder of my ultimate inspiration in those critical times of self-doubt and loathing.

As with lots of people who have aspirations of writing, I too was inspired by J.D. Salinger's contemporary classic The Catcher in the Rye.  

I remember that instead of reading it in my high school literature class, the teacher chose to read it to us instead. I assumed at that time she decided to read it out loud rather deal with any upheaval from parents who might be concerned that their child was being exposed to poison and filth from such a controversial book. Or rather I felt she was keeping the story within the confines of the classroom instead of sending copies home with us, which would present the fact we were engaged in something tawdry and inappropriate, despite the fact we were the same age as the dude in the book... dealing with the same issues he was. 

High school kids are so innocent and naturally inclined to avoid sex, drugs and rock and roll in the first place and Lord knows we didn't need to be encouraged.

The Catcher in the Rye is a coming of age story about a young, self-indulgent man with a superior sense of entitlement named Holden Caulfield. It is racy and disturbing but also engaging and oh so beautifully written.

Some years later I realized she chose to read it to us, not to avoid back-lash but because she didn't trust us to read it on our own. She wanted to make certain we didn't miss this true work of art. God bless her. I know I wouldn't have read it then and where would I be now? Most likely not here writing this and that is a thought I cannot bare to think of.



The words featured in the meme above was the line from the book that made me fall hard for writing. EVERY time I read those words they electrify me and inspire me be to be a writer. I could never describe exactly how this quote makes me feel when I read it though. My words would only do a disservice to Mr. Salinger and his talent...his gift. 

The sentence is perfect. The character who possessed the thought was not, and being human,  I will never hold that against him. I can only be forever grateful to him...and to Mrs. Hitch, the teacher who had the fortitude to instill dreams within each of her incorrigible students.

Can you recall something that you experienced way back when that sent you rocking and rolling out into the great wide open with unbridled enthusiasm but you have since forgotten? 

Was it an experience, a person, words, a song, a place....a feeling? 

You never know what you might capture when you go digging around in that dusty ol' attic upstairs and who knows....you might even re-discover yourself and would that just be the best catch ever?




No comments:

Post a Comment